By Bradley Nakayama
When you think about joining the Marines what comes to mind? Is it what should I do or How do I know what I can do in the Marines? Those are good questions to think about when you are going to join the Marines and there are many there are many career paths in the Marines to choose from.
The first step is talk to a Marine recruiter about joining, Marines are one of the best fighting force in the United States so making sure you know what you are going to do all depends on your ASVAB score, which is a test to help tell the recruiter what you can do in the Marines and how you can practice what you want to do. The higher score you get on the ASVAB the more career paths open up for you and show you more or new things you can do in the marines.
Recruiter Sgt. Soto discusses his choice to join the Marines. He says, “What led me to a career in the Marines was violence in the inner city of Baltimore. I wanted to be part of something that was bigger than myself and not be part of a gang that does nothing but create chaos.” He goes on to say, :The Marines as a branch and as an expeditionary force have proven that not only are they fierce in the battle field but also compassionate during the rescue/reconstruction efforts after natural disasters.”
High School Students should join the Marines for several reasons. According to Sgt. Soto, “High School students should consider their opportunities in the Marines because not only does it provide the tangible benefits to an individual (like traveling, 350 different technical skills, 100% free college education, free housing, free food, medical care, financial security) but it provides the intangibles (like pride of belonging, leadership and management skills, self-reliance, self-discipline, self-direction, courage, poise, self-confidence)”
There are many career paths in the Marines that students might not know about, including Engineers, Aviation technicians, Meteorologists, Media Correspondence, Chefs, Vehicle Mechanics, Firefighters, Military police, Electricians, Welders, Carpenters, Cyber security, Accountants, Administration and more.
SGT Soto said “Marines are known as the world's finest fighting Force or America's 911, but people don't know that only 10 % of what the Marines do are combat related. The other 90 % are supporting jobs that help the guys in the front lines.”
Sgt. Soto joined the Marines because “the challenge that the Marines present was something that I wanted to experience. Knowing that it will help me face any obstacles that life may throw at me because I completed one of the hardest boot camp in the Military.” The challenges and opportunities the Marines have to offer should be considered by any high school student who is looking for their next path in life.